PRALAC (The LAC Artist-in-Residence Program)
General principals and objectives:
- To offer visiting artists of any nationality the opportunity to develop creative work in LAC´s cells, carry out research or develop projects in Lagos thus enriching the city´s cultural fabric with the presentation of their work;
- To develop experiences that reinforce interculturality through an exchange of experiences, stimulating contact with other realities and promoting, whenever possible, contact with artists from Portuguese speaking countries and with Portuguese artists resident in other countries.
-The cells in LAC are intended for the development of individual artistic projects, of whatever kind providing that space requirements are compatible with the facilities offered
- LAC has two cells available for the achievement of the program with the possibility of some projects being carried out in the communal spaces when considered compatible with the needs of the applicant;
- The artistic residencies run for periods of 4 to 12 weeks and each selected project will be allocated the use of one cell.
-The artistic residencies imply the observance of the rules of space use.
- Lac, as a non-profit organization intends for the artists to contribute towards the development and cultural growth of the association inside and outside the space.
- Depending upon the nature of the project, a final presentation may take place. Arrangements will be decided between the artist and the directors.
Whenever possible, events will be organized that stimulate interaction with the public in debates, workshops, conferences and other cultural activities.
Financing and other benefits:
- Spaces solely equipped with a removable work-station. Communal work areas in Lagos´ old jail will also be avaliable, when possible.
- LAC operates within a collaborative network of organizations that may, whenever possible, provide access to other facilities in Lagos;
- LAC has an accommodation space for artists (LAR) fitted properly. The artist has a symbolic daily charge to the reimbursement for building maintenance;
- Travel costs will be the responsibility of the artist. If needed,
- LAC will provide a written declaration of the residency in order for the artist to apply to other organizations for help with travel expenses.
- Whenever possible, LAC may provide guidance in regards to obtaining travel subsidies or/and grants from collaborative organizations in Portugal and other countries.
Who is eligible:
-Artists over 18 year old submitting individually projects from any artistic area (Painting, Sculpture, Engraving, Cartoon, Installation art, theatre, dance, fashion, and design) or any other area that fits within the aims of the initiative;
Application procedures: General requirements
-Applications can be sent via e-mail, by post to LAC, Largo Convento Srª, da Gloria 8660-660 Lagos, Portugal;
- Project grounding:
-Originality and innovation.
- Methodology and organisation.
- Integration of the Project within an artistic context.
- The candidate’s curriculum.
- The candidate’s portfolio.
- Compatibility with conditions provided by the association.
-Whenever possible, the stimulation of diversity between projects will influence the selection process.
- Applications not fulfilling the above prerequisites will be disqualified.
- Completed application form.
- Synopsis of the Project proposed for development.
-Description of motives and objectives inherent to the project.
- Portfolio or information that may help understand the candidate’s trajectory.
- Curriculum of the applying artist.
- The Jury will be formed by members of the LAC´s board of directors and specialists from various artistic areas.
The results will be communicated to the artist and will be announced at the webpage www.lac.org.pt
- LAC reserves the right to use images from the creative process and final outcome of the residency for publicity purposes. Authorship will be stated.
- The works created duringthe residence as a joint projectwith other artists belong to all who participated in its creation, unless otherwise agreed.
- If requested,the artist must, at the end ofthe residence, provide a piecethat will belong to the collection of LAC
-All information sent in the candidate’s application will not be returned.
- LAC reserves the right to include the portfolios in its documentation centre.
- Situations not contemplated by the above will be resolved by the jury.
- Participation implies the full acceptance of all points included in the regulations.
1. The cells will be occupied by the proposed period of application (maximum 12 weeks), after which it shall be returned to LAC in the exact state it was delivered;
2. The occupation of the cells inserted in PRALAC – Short Term Projects is exempt from payment;
3. The cleaning of the cell is the responsibility of each occupant;
4. The common spaces (halls, courtyards, toilets) must be left in the exact state they were found;
5. For each artist will be given a key of the cell and a key of the building. The users can use the space 24 hours a day provided they meet the noise standards in law;
6. The security inside the building is the responsibility of the occupants that should be take special attention in the access doors;
7. It is the responsibility of the artists the maintenance of equipment that should be proceed with the replacement of damaged material.
8. The projects that involving high noise levels will be constrained by opening hours, designated by LAC;
9. LAC is not responsible for material or personal accidents that may occur during the occupation of the artists;
10. The temporary and exclusive occupation of a collective space can be negotiated with the LAC board;
11. The artists should not make any interventions in the area without consulting the LAC board
12. All projects presented to the public in external initiatives, should mention the support of the association, by inserting logo on all graphic materials;
13. At the end of the residency the artist must submit along with the key of the cell, a report of the project developed.
14. The omitted cases shall be analyzed and solved by LAC board;
L.A.R. (Lagos Artistic Residential) REGULATIONS
This regulation aims to regulate the accomodation of the artistis in LAR – Lagos Artistic Residential.
1. To each artist will be given an accommodation space that will be occupied during the period of residence;
2. The occupation entails the prepayment of 3 € / day, according to the period of residence for maintenance costs / logistics of the building;.
3. It is forbidden to the artist, the right to host anyone without prior notice to LAC;
4. The artist will be accompanied to a maximum of one person being charged the daily rate of € 5,
5. The artist is responsible for the acts of the companion;
6. It provided access and shared kitchen and dining room fully equipped, with the responsibility of each user cleaning its place.
7. The cleaning of each room is the responsibility (s) of occupant (s);
8. The common spaces should be left in the same cleaning when they were found;
9. For each artist will be given a room key and a key building, not being permitted its copy;
10. The security inside the building is the responsibility of the artists, therefore should be have special attention in the access doors;
11. It is the responsibility of the artists the maintenance of equipment that should proceed with the replacement of material damaged;
12. LAC is not responsible for material or personal accidents that may occur during residency;
13. The artists should not make any interventions in the building without consulting the board of the LAC;
14. Artists must obey the noise standards that should be respected.
15. At the end of the residency, artists must leave the bed linens tidy and packaged;
16. The omitted cases shall be analyzed and solved by LAC board;